Sunday, April 4, 2010

Making The Kitty A Bit Gritty

A few months ago I shot some models that were part of a portfolio building event for local body painters and I want to discuss two images from that shoot.  We have events of this type about every month or so.  If you are able to travel to Milwaukee for a solid day of photography, keep an eye here for upcoming workshops and portfolio building events.

The model I want to talk about today was Alice, and she went with a Cheetah themed paint job adorned with a playful bow and some costume ears to help round-out the outfit.  Both of the images I am showing from this day have been altered with textures, and that is that type of  image treatment I want to discuss in this article.

I add textures to most of my images, often it is subtle and restricted to a specific part of the photo with a masked layer.  I highly recommend the Flypaper Textures series as a great collection of textures you can add to your image.  There is often at least one blending mode involved as a texture is rarely added directly to the image without at least an opacity change.  I also shoot textures whenever I see something that has potential.  So, keep your eyes open!

I took this photo from a very low angle with a wide angle lens, which will distort her hand and perspective.  I really wanted the hand to look large and as threatening as I could, so the use of a wide angle here was key.

Before we get into the Photoshop aspects, lets talk about lighting for a bit. Lighting this is fairly simple as I needed to light the front of the model, but also make sure the back does not fall into shadow.  I wanted to really add some specuality to her rump to help balance the shot with interest.  Obviously the face is a focus area, and the black wig will be a nice contrast for the image.

There are three lights involved here: 
  • SB-800 camera left (behind model) at 1/8 power with 20 degree grid
  • AB-800 with 2' softstrip camera left (in front of model)
  • AB-800 with huge octabank camera right at 1/8 power for fill. 
The octabank is a HUGE light modifier and allows us a nice even fill across the entire image. Also, because it is so large we can back it up a bit so we have some room to move.  Often I find there are so many lights in tight on the subject that it becomes a chore to step over cables and not accidentally catch one of the lights in a shot.

Before I added the texture, I needed to Photoshop out the thong from the model.  It just looked a bit odd with the outfit, and I wanted to remove it.  The patch tool and clone-stamp made this easy and quick work.  Remember you can always use the patch tool to "borrow" spots from other areas of the image.  This keeps the paint looking interesting and realistic over the patched areas.

When looking at an image for texture treatment you need to have a goal.  The goal may not be what you end up with, but you need to know what type of look you desire.  For this photo I wanted a desaturated look and a rough treatment to work with the dynamics of the shot.  I also dislike the brown background tone that was the paper that was handy, so the textures I am going to try must be lighter than this tone if the blending modes I have in mind are going to work.

Often when a texture is applied you will find yourself using a mask so you don't completely obscure important pieces of the image, like the face, eyes, and so on.  However I decided to forgo a mask for this image and just let it be a systemic image treatment.  After the first texture was in place and set to "screen" as the blending mode, I added an additional texture and masked it out of most of the photo except for parts of the background.  This was done to add a little variation to the photo.

The same model approched me later in the day with a slight modification to her costume.  I was in the process of packing up things and she was disappointed when I said I was leaving.  She said, "but I am adorable!".  So, I unpacked things and took this shot.

This outfit was a bit on the creepy side being that it was a "little girl" look but with the body paint.  So, I took her words to heart and added the word "adorable" in blood across the floor in front of her.  The texture treatment is the same as I did above, but this time I masked her out so the texture didn't cross her at all.

As you can see from the untreated photo I also had to extend the background and remove my damn shoe from the picture.  There are probably 50 ways to extend the background ranging from just a copy/paste to the "content aware scale" tool.  I choose the latter in this case because it is quick and was not really going to show up well after the texture application.  My ruddy shoe as removed with the exact same treatment I used to restore the background to the top of the image.

The blood is a simple font and some ink spatter brushes (I used a dark red color for both).  The color of the blood is made more realistic because there is a blending mode on them (multiply) and it is working nicely with the texture treatment.  Since blood is really dark red, this seemed a bit too dark to me initially but after failed attempts to lighten it, I seemed to revert to this color as my favorite.

I hope you enjoyed the article today and have a Happy Easter!  Please leave me a comment or any questions you might have.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, I just came upon your blog and love it. the shots are great, I have only had a minute at the end of lunch break to check it out, but I shall be back to rrad it from cover to cover.


    best wishes, Noel


Waiting For Morpheus

final image This image was shot on location in Edgerton, Wisconsin, which I mentioned before is very close to the edge of the Earth (pu...